[sword-devel] Re: WEB has missing verses

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:50:05 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Michael Paul Johnson wrote:

> The xml:lang attribute is only supported for English texts, right now,
> since most of the languages I'm interested in have no two-letter
> codes. (There are too many of them. You can't represent over 6,000
> languages with two letters.)

I'm not sure where you got the idea that xml:lang only holds an ISO 639-1
(or some other two-letter) value, but the actual standard can easily refer
to any human language.  xml:lang's contents are defined by RFC 1766/3066.
By the former, ISO 639-1, IANA, and x- codes are valid.  The latter adds
ISO 639-2 codes.  I think OSIS preference (though this isn't in writing
yet) is to use ISO 639-1, ISO 639-2, IANA, then x- codes, according to
what is available for a given language, in that order of preference.
SIL/Ethnologue codes should be of the form x-SIL-<code>.  LINGUIST List
codes should be of the form x-LINGUIST-<code>.  That covers all human
languages, delegating code assignment to the proper organizations (SIL &
LINGUIST), as well as permitting locale-specific dialects and other
subtags, according to RFC 1766/3066 conventions.  And if additional codes
are needed, x- codes without the SIL or LINGUIST subtag can be used.

> Footnote start anchors use generic milestone markers. This may change
> if OSIS starts really supporting these. This really isn't a violation
> of the OSIS 2.0 spec, but if you use this feature beware that it may
> change.

Has this been suggested to OSIS yet?

> Hebrew Psalm book titles are rendered as text (poetry <l> or prose <p>
> elements) rather than <title> elements, because <title> elements
> couldn't handle the appropriate "italics" markup for KJV "added" words
> in the current OSIS 2.0.1 schema.

I'll point that out at the next meeting.

--Chris