[sword-devel] Re: WEB has missing verses

Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:53:26 +1000

At 20:31 18-01-04, Lynn Allan wrote:
>Also, Rev 22:21 (last verse in the Bible) is also missing from the
>WEB

That is dangerous! See Rev. 22:18-19. The World English Bible is
updated fairly often at its home at http://eBible.org/web/, as active
edits are still happening in the Old Testament, plus the occasional
typo correction or other minor adjustment for improved readability
and/or accuracy in the New Testament. (The edits in the New Testament
tend to be less and less frequent.) It sounds like some sort of
conversion error into rawtext format may be the problem.

The next update will include making an OSIS version available from
that site (as well as OSIS versions for the HNV, ASV, KJV, and the
completed portions of the GLW). I have an OSIS version for
Melanesian Pidgin, too, but it isn't ready for distribution until I
sort
through some legal issues and clean up some errors in the text.

The OSIS isn't in strict compliance with OSIS 2.0, but it is closer
than any existing OSIS text of the WEB that I have seen, and the text
is up-to-date with the latest changes in Joshua, etc. I plan to upload
it after I get back to my home in the highlands of Papua New Guinea.
(The Internet connection from where I am is a bit too expensive to do
that from here, but the snorkeling is better.)

Exceptions to the OSIS 2.0 specification are listed in the
revisionDesc element, but in summary, they are:

Jesus' quotes are marked with <q who="Jesus"> AND typographic
quotation marks when they are marked in the GBF file with <FR>,
contrary to the OSIS 2.0 specification.

The xml:lang attribute is only supported for English texts, right now,
since most of the languages I'm interested in have no two-letter
codes. (There are too many of them. You can't represent over 6,000
languages with two letters.)

Footnote start anchors use generic milestone markers. This may change
if OSIS starts really supporting these. This really isn't a violation
of the OSIS 2.0 spec, but if you use this feature beware that it may
change.

Hebrew Psalm book titles are rendered as text (poetry <l> or prose <p>
elements) rather than <title> elements, because <title> elements
couldn't handle the appropriate "italics" markup for KJV "added" words
in the current OSIS 2.0.1 schema.

Some metadata could be improved, i. e. adding original publication
dates for the ASV & KJV, etc., and improving the contact information.

Even with all of that, these files are much closer to the OSIS 2.0
specification than the ones currently at the BibleTechnologiesWG site.
(Feel free to copy the new ones over or link to them in place once I
get them uploaded.)

Once I get the OSIS files uploaded, I'll announce in on the
WebNews@eBible.org mailing list. You may subscribe to that list at
http://eBible.org/subscribe.htm, if you like.

<tech note: WEB doesn't seem to be "plain text". There are embedded
non-ascii characters that prevent a text editor from seeing all the
verses. The "hex editor" I use doesn't seem to be able to handle files
as big as ./sword/modules/texts/rawtext/web/nt >

Looking at a binary file in a text editor is inherently hazardous. If
you save changes, you could corrupt a file.