[sword-devel] Help appreciated with French (was: Locked Bible Versions)

Adrian Frost sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:51:10 +0100

Lynn,

Here's some possibilities:

> English                       French (Adrian :-)
> Case Sensitive        Cas sensible
> Case Insensitive    Cas insensible
> All Words                   Tous les mots
> Any Word                  Tout mot
> All words or any     Tous les mots ou tout mot
> Exact Words              Mots exacts or Expression exacte
> Font                        Police (can have Police de caractères as well
either/or) (Font Size = Taille de police)
> Small                         Petite (feminine because police is feminine)
> Medium                     Moyenne (as above)
> Large                        Grande (as above)
> Entire Bible                La Bible Entière
> New Testament         Nouveau Testament
> Old Testament           Ancien Testament
> Gospels                     Les Evangiles (you don't tend to use accents
on capital letters)
> Search from                 Recherche du .... (normally would be
'recherche de' but because both beginning and chapter (as in current
chapter) are masculine de becomes du)
> Beginning                 Début
> Current Chapter       Chapitre actuel
> Each word                 Chaque mot
> Yes                          Oui
> No                           Non

That's kind of a first attempt.  Barry had done a very good job. I shall run
this lot past a friend of mine just to be sure - I think his English might
be good enough :-) French phrases often seem to come out a bit longer than
English ones which can be a killer for dialog boxes. I know someone who may
be able to help with Dutch and German. I'll pass this e-mail along.
It may be worth your while popping along to Goggle, having a look at
French and going back to 'Recherche Avancée' to see how Goggle has done it.

Adrian