[sword-devel] The SWORD Project for Windows 1.5.6 - bugs and comments

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:55:06 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Adrian Frost wrote:

> Anyway, onto TSP for Windows. First off; I like it a lot. It is fast to load
> and doesn't eat system resources (the downfall of the last app I was using)

The Sword Project for Windows load times vary with the number of modules
you have installed.  Unfortunately, it DOESN'T scale very well, and load
times can get very bad if you have hundreds of modules installed (just as
with other software).  Luckily, most people don't install hundreds of
modules.

> Bugs:
> Scroll bar often disappears from the key list for dictionaries. (Maximised
> window at 800x600) If the window is resized the scroll bar re-appears.

Not a bug.  The dictionary key list only holds the next/previous 10
entries (or something like that).  If that number of keys fits in the
window, the scroll bar disappears.

> Words of Christ in red toggle does not work for WEB module.

I'd like to go on record as saying I wasn't in favor of this toggle.  And
when it was added, I also opposed publicising it as a feature.  Why?
Because if you advertise a feature, users have an expectation that it will
work.  And in order for this one to work, all modules with Words of Christ
in red need to be updated.

> After installing modules using FTP and Install Manager the new modules do
> not appear without re-starting SWORD

Yep.  Sword and the InstallMgr are two different programs and they don't
communicate.  If they did, all InstallMgr would do is tell Sword to
restart.

Do you think it would be better if InstallMgr required that Sword not be
running?  (This is what Logos does.)  The alternative is to force users to
restart after an update (like BibleWorks).  We only require a restart if
you want to see your new materials.  Maybe just a message box to that
effect would suffice.

> Verse spin wheel runs ..3..2..1..0.. would it be better to jump straight
> back to previous chapter? All the linked commentaries are affected too - do
> so i.e. turning up Php 3:0 in the verse controls brings up Php 3:0 in the
> commentary window until you click a new tab for a different commentary at
> which point you get Php 2:30. Works fine going up the verse numbers.

Verse 0 is the chapter introduction kludge.  This needs some work, true.

> Also if entering something like Gen 26:34-27:41 in the Freehand Verse Key (a
> real life example...) it would be nice if the whole passage came up rather
> than having to jump back to the verse controls to move into chapter 27.

Not going to happen under the current architecture.

> I hope this isn't too much in one go - I've been saving them up so that I
> could make sure they were real thoughts and issues not just a gut reaction
> to using a new app. i really love this app - it's being used every day for a
> variety of bits and pieces in my job - having access to English and French
> translations on the computer is great - I work in Belgium as an assistant
> pastor in a French speaking church.

Keep the suggestions coming.  Hopefully someone else will address some of
the items that I didn't.

--Chris