[sword-devel] The SWORD Project for Windows 1.5.6 - bugs and comments

Adrian Frost sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:23:50 +0100

Hello,

I've been using The SWORD Project for Windows for about a week now after
switching from another bible software app. I'm hoping that as a user I'll be
of some use in finding bugs and commenting on stuff - it's about all I'll be
able to contribute as I have no programming skills (although I've done a
fair amount of web stuff - HTML, ASP, XML and UI development for Web apps)

Anyway, onto TSP for Windows. First off; I like it a lot. It is fast to load
and doesn't eat system resources (the downfall of the last app I was using)
The help file is very good too.

I've picked up a number of things that I think may be bugs, a few things
that come under "hmmm, why does it do that?" and a couple of ideas for other
stuff.

I'm using version 1.5.6 on Windows 98 FE. PC is a Pentium 266 laptop with
3Gb HD and 160Mb of RAM. Screen res is 800x600 - it's fairly outdated but
does the job required.

Bugs:
Scroll bar often disappears from the key list for dictionaries. (Maximised
window at 800x600) If the window is resized the scroll bar re-appears.

Words of Christ in red toggle does not work for WEB module.

Hebrew Strong's pop-ups over verse numbers occasionally (I think this may
appear elsewhere on the dev list)

Things that make you go hmmm....
These things may simply come down to personal preference and may be designed
behaviour in some cases. Others may just be GUI nit-picking :-)

After installing modules using FTP and Install Manager the new modules do
not appear without re-starting SWORD

Auto-following of the mouse cursor is at times irritating as focus sometimes
jumps away from controls for no apparent reason. To copy any text you still
have to click into the required area.

In search window "Create VerseList from result" should probably be "Create
Verse List from result" to follow its use elsewhere?

After using and closing the search window the next time it is used "scope"
is as previously used but, presuming that a custom range had been selected
before, the range drop-down is blank - means no search is performed - this
one stumped me for a few moments - not long but enough to wonder why search
didn't appear to be working.

If the search window is minimised it disappears entirely but when the search
button is clicked the search window reappears as a small bar at the bottom
of the screen that needs to be maximised.

Verse spin wheel runs ..3..2..1..0.. would it be better to jump straight
back to previous chapter? All the linked commentaries are affected too - do
so i.e. turning up Php 3:0 in the verse controls brings up Php 3:0 in the
commentary window until you click a new tab for a different commentary at
which point you get Php 2:30. Works fine going up the verse numbers.

Some ideas:
Using the verse spin buttons it would be nice to be able to tab from chapter
to verse and have the chapter update, type in the verse hit enter and have
the ref come up rather than having to use mouse and keyboard

Also if entering something like Gen 26:34-27:41 in the Freehand Verse Key (a
real life example...) it would be nice if the whole passage came up rather
than having to jump back to the verse controls to move into chapter 27.

Right clicking and having 'Select this Verse' when in the bible window
whilst the cursor is in a verse that then selects verse and changes Verse
controls would be very useful.

I hope this isn't too much in one go - I've been saving them up so that I
could make sure they were real thoughts and issues not just a gut reaction
to using a new app. i really love this app - it's being used every day for a
variety of bits and pieces in my job - having access to English and French
translations on the computer is great - I work in Belgium as an assistant
pastor in a French speaking church.

Thankyou for making this app available.

Adrian Frost