[sword-devel] Problem checking out Sword from CVS - Fedora Core 2

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Wed Aug 11 03:17:55 MST 2004

Hello, Everyone :)
Sometime after I heard that Crosswire.org was being moved to a new
server(s), I attempted to update Sword from CVS.  I was not terribly
shocked that it wouldn't update.  I figured it had something to do with
moving to a new server.  A few weeks later, I'm trying to checkout a
fresh copy of Sword from CVS, and I am still unable to do it.

The instructions that I used are located on the following page:
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/develop/biblecs/cvs.jsp

Here I quote the exact instructions that I attempted to use to checkout
a fresh copy of Sword from CVS:

Under Linux

Anonymous CVS may be used to obtain the latest source by using the
CVSROOT:
:pserver:anonymous at cvs.crosswire.org:/cvs/core
with the passwd: anonymous
module name: sword
eg.
$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.crosswire.org:/cvs/core
$ cvs login
Password: anonymous
$ cvs checkout sword

Here is a step by step breakdown of what happens:
1. "export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.crosswire.org:/cvs/core" -
This works with no errors.
2. "cvs login" - This brings up the expected prompt:
"Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at cvs.crosswire.org:2401/cvs/core/sword
CVS password:"
3. enter the password "anonymous" - The result is "/cvs/core: no such
repository"

As you can imagine this is not the desired behaviour :)

At this time, Sword from CVS is required to compile Bibletime for Linux.
 This is the reason why I want to keep a current Sword installation on
our machine.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: I'm not sure it matters, since I used to be able to successfully
download and update Sword from CVS on this same machine, but we are
running Fedora Core 2