[sword-devel] console cf LCD bible

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 07:44:10 MST 2004

The goal of JSword is to provide a platform independent implementation
of Sword and a platform independent UI for it. It should run on any
machine that has Java 1.4.

We have worked hard on reducing the size of the JSword distribution.
It is now at 2M, down from 9M. We will be releasing it as 0.9.8 fairly
soon. (There are a few bugs to fix and a couple of small features to add).

It can also be distributed via Java WebStart, so the storage size on
Christian Linux Live would be less than 1K.

The size of Java 1.4 JRE is 1.2M. My opinion is that Java belongs on
everyone's machine.

For a comparison, BibleTime for KDE 3.0 is 1.6M and GnomeSword is 1.4M.
I am not sure what the overhead for KDE or Gnome is, but I bet it is not
insignificant. I'm not sure but I think Gnome is built on top of GTK.

As to GTK+, it is 3.4M for Windows as released for Gaim and other
windows distributions are as big as 6.7M. I could not find its size for
Linux as it is has many library dependencies. This may or may not be a
part of a particular Linux distribution. All told the total size of GTK
and its required libraries will be significant.

Anyway the point of all this is that JSword will have a relatively small
footprint.