[sword-devel] CVS Tree lost icu-sword branches

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 01:38:12 -0700

Jonathan,
	My apologies for not mentioning this early.  I recall that you said you
found an icu dll in your OpenOffice directory?  This cannot be a usable
dll for sword IMO.  The correct DLL can be found on our alpha under the
link 'misc alpha files'.  Chris Little maintains ICU and I think this
can only be built currently with the MSVC compiler.  I believe it is
merely the data for ICU.  If you cannot find the correct file, I would
ask Chris which one you should use.  This may very well be the problem.

[more below]

Jonathan Mickelson wrote:
> Troy,
>
> I had commented out the offending lines in BibleCS and though it
> executed, all it did was show the splash screen, hide it, show the
> outline of the main form and immediately terminated.  I stepped thru the
> program, but it did not make sense as to why it quit
> application->run().  There were no exceptions and no errors.  In less
> than 20 steps, the program was finished executing.  I'm still too
> unfamiliar with the 30+ million lines of code the BCB6 said it compiled
> to produce a 4+MB executable (I know a lot of that was header files).
>
> I've read the many forum postings concerning BCB6 issues and the one
> about the two good fellows who got BCB6 to work properly.  I had hoped
> that the code would have been tagged in the CVS tree as a milestone, so
> I went looking for that build knowing that the current CVS tree was in
> flux.  That's how I found "the rest of the story" concerning icu-sword.
>
>  From the forum postings, I got the impression that BCB6 is the unwanted
> stepchild of the Sword project.  I don't mind hanging in there with BCB6
> if there's an actual desire to see it come to fruition.  However, It
> will take some coordination.

BCB6 should work just fine.  I just never upgraded.  I was waiting for
BCB7 but it just seems like that may never exist.  I'm still using BCB5
mostly but have a free version BCB6 on a VMWare image that can use.  I'm
trying a build right now...

> On the Linux side, I presume your are using KDE, KDevelop, Qt3 based on
> web site information for BibleTime.  Has that changed?

I'm sure that is probably what the BibleTime guys use.  They can speak
better than me.  I use Fedora Core 1, Gnome2, Enlightenment, and mostly vi.

> I'm impressed with the different projects that are going on
> (multiplatform development, language modules, flash cards/tutors,
> serious web interface development and various side projects that I'm
> picking up on).  I can tell that development is moving at a break neck
> pace with a lot of excitement behind the scenes about the progress that
> is being made on some really cool pet projects that really raise the bar
> for this genre of software.  Is there a list of the various projects and
> who is working on them?  BTW, who has responsibility for BibleCS?  I'm
> guessing that Joachim has responsibility for BibleTime.
>
> I'm surprised at Borland for making BCB6 non-backwards-compatible with
> BCB5.  Any insight as the the major differences and pifalls?

It's pretty backwards-compatible.  It's really not much more than just
keeping the project files in sync, since I don't use it all the time.
I'd be glad for you to own the BCB6 project files. :)

> Finally, I've taken a look at BibleStudy's source code using wxWindows
> last updated April 2003.  Is there any thought of having a basic
> cross-platform frontend for sword among the core developers -OR- is it
> preferred that everyone have the privilege of creating their own
> front-end for the platforms they want to use.  I haven't figured out the
> end-goal yet.  My observations are that all the slick, frontline
> development is put into BibleTime with all the other applications
> playing catch up.  This implies there is intimate development
> cooperation between BibleTime developers and SWORD API developers.
> Wonderful! It makes for a great team.  If this is indeed the case, what
> do we do with BibleCS?

Well, believe it or not (the BibleTime guys may not agree :)  ), BibleCS
usually uses more of the latest features than any of the frontends.
It's not very asthetically pleasing, but I think has the same
functionality as most of the other frontends.  I originally wrote
BibleCS, and it is good for me to have the experience of building a
complex client of the API.  I would very much like to have other major
contributors to the Windows frontend.  You can also find a prototype of
a new user interface on the alpha page and probably in CVS somewhere.
It's hard for me to get time to work on the Windows side.

> If BibleTime is the avant guard of Crosswire's development, it would
> behoove us keep permanent milestones of working libraries that the rest
> of the Crosswire family can code to while BibleTime forges ahead with
> the latest and greatest.  This would allows hobbyists and other
> researchers to develop their own custom application based on a stable
> API set and upgrade later if and when they desire.  How do you envision
> all this working?  Is there already a model in place that I've missed?
> I'm really intrigued to know the inside scoop cause I'm picking up a lot
> of excited activity on the radar.

We usually keep source releases of all public version available on our
ftp site: ftp://ftp.crosswire.org/pub/sword/source/

Any on these should be stable to build clients against.

Coordination is usually done live at: irc.freenode.net #sword
And on each project's mailing list:
sword-devel
bt-devel
jsword-devel

MacSword and GnomeSword have lists on SF, I think.

I hope this answers some of your questions, and that more people might
reply to others.

	-Troy.