[sword-devel] Probs. w/SWORD API with C++Builder 6.0

Jonathan Mickelson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:46:05 -0500

--------------030401040408080802020501

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the welcome.

I would appreciate your assistance with the links and TWiki
hints/shortcuts. I am interested in learning, using, and enhancing (when
experience allows) the SWORD API.  I've been evaluating different bible
projects and was led to participate in Crosswire's work.  I want to see
the SWORD API continue to mature and be refined so that it can be easily
used for many Christian works.  Perhaps to even address the complexity
you encountered without reducing its power.

I am a 20 veteran of the IT industry with extensive experience in
software design, development, and implementation as an international
cross-platform developer/consultant/business owner.  Based on the
comments made in the archives, I don't stand alone in type of
experience.  It nice to work among peers.

I've retired from IT and have moved into Christ's service full-time. I
do the work of a missionary/pastor in the suburbs of Atlanta. My wife
speaks Greek fluently. I lived in Israel for a year and learned to speak
modern Hebrew. My conversational skills are rusty, but my reading skills
are sharp enough for bible study.   It is important to me to have a
bible software program that I can recommend and "give" freely to those
who would not spend money on such a program.  I believe it will allow me
to assign in-depth "homework" for discipleship.

Evangelism, discipleship, and worship are my primary labors.  I work
beyond the walls because that is where the lost souls and, in increasing
number, the hurting sheep reside (and it's where I'm called).  My wife
excels in practical compassion and I in intangible compasion (inner
healing, questions of faith and heart).  We make a great team, nicely
balanced.

sundoślos Christoś (your fellowservant in Christ),
Jonathan

Lynn Allan wrote:

>Something you might consider getting involved in ... the LcdBible
>"frontend". One of its objectives is to provide a "newbie friendly"
>situation which might simplify the "learning curve" for eventually
>participating The SWORD Project development. It uses an "experimental
>plug-in subset" of the vastly comprehensive sword-api.
>
>Here is a link to an earlier post, "Recruiting volunteers to help with
>LcdBible project":
>http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2003-December/020071.html
>
>and a webpage link:
>http://lcdbible.sourceforge.net
>
>For His glory and honor,
>Lynn Allan
>l.allan@att.net
>paracletos@adelphia.net

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Thanks for the welcome. <br>
I would appreciate your assistance with the links and TWiki
hints/shortcuts. I am interested in learning, using, and enhancing
(when experience allows) the SWORD API.&nbsp; I've been evaluating different
bible projects and was led to participate in Crosswire's work.&nbsp; I want
to see the SWORD API continue to mature and be refined so that it can
be easily used for many Christian works.&nbsp; Perhaps to even address the
complexity you encountered without reducing its power.</font>
industry with extensive experience in
software design, development, and implementation as an international
cross-platform
developer/consultant/business owner.&nbsp; Based on the comments made in the
archives, I
don't stand alone in type of experience.&nbsp; It nice to work among peers.
I've retired from IT and have moved into Christ's service full-time. I
do the work of a missionary/pastor in the suburbs of Atlanta. My wife
speaks Greek fluently. I lived in Israel for a year and learned to
speak modern Hebrew. My conversational skills are rusty, but my reading
skills are sharp enough for bible study.&nbsp;&nbsp; It is important to me to
have a bible software program that I can recommend and "give" freely to
those who would not spend money on such a program.&nbsp; I believe it will
allow me to assign in-depth "homework" for discipleship.<br>
Evangelism, discipleship, and worship are my primary labors.&nbsp; I work
beyond the walls because that is where the lost souls and, in
increasing number, the hurting sheep reside (and it's where I'm
called).&nbsp; My wife excels in practical compassion and I in intangible
compasion (inner healing, questions of faith and heart).&nbsp; We make a
great team, nicely balanced.<br>
sundo&uacute;los Christo&uacute; (your fellowservant in Christ),<br>
Jonathan</font> <br>
Lynn Allan wrote:
  <pre wrap="">
Something you might consider getting involved in ... the LcdBible
"frontend". One of its objectives is to provide a "newbie friendly"
situation which might simplify the "learning curve" for eventually
participating The SWORD Project development. It uses an "experimental
plug-in subset" of the vastly comprehensive sword-api.

Here is a link to an earlier post, "Recruiting volunteers to help with
LcdBible project":
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2003-December/020071.html">http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2003-December/020071.html</a>

and a webpage link:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://lcdbible.sourceforge.net">http://lcdbible.sourceforge.net</a>

For His glory and honor,
Lynn Allan
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:l.allan@att.net">l.allan@att.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:paracletos@adelphia.net">paracletos@adelphia.net</a>

    <pre wrap="">Joachim - Thanks for your answers!

Remaining questions for anyone with answers:

I'm running into to numerous snags with building sword and the other
modules using C++ Builder 6.  Is this common?  Also, are there any
components that need to be installed?  Are there any extra steps needed
to establish a golden development environment?

And finally, what and where is the source for the last stable build
(1.5.6)?  I'd like to start with that unless that is going too far
backwards.  I'm trying to shorten the learning curve by playing with a
working model.

Thank you,
Jonathan

    </pre>