[sword-devel] Curious: how long does it take for full rebuild of Sword

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:32:20 -0500

Lynn Allan wrote:

> Inquiring (newbie) minds want to know:
>
> * How long does it take to completely rebuild Sword for windoze from
> scratch?

It varies greatly, depending on compiler, processor, memory, etc.  But
as a general rule, building with Borland takes forever.  By the time you
finish building with Borland, there will probably be updates in CVS, or
a new version of Borland.  Bulding with MSVC takes a while, but nowhere
near so long as Borland.

> * How many tools and vendors are involved (borland, microsoft, etc.)

You can build the whole library with any of Borland Builder, MSVC, or
Cygwin.  However, if you build with Borland, you'll need the ICU data
DLL that gets built with MSVC.

> The reason I ask:
> I'm trying to rebuild diatheke and ActiveDiatheke from "scratch", including
> the ICU versions. This involves libsword.icu and libsword6icu.lib. It is
> taking forever. No doubt there is some "operator error", but I'm using the
> unmodified CVS sources.

I'm not sure if you caught the latest commits that I did last night, but
everything is up & running to build ActiveDiatheke from scratch,
including linking ICU.  However, you will need to build ICU itself
separately.  I'm still contemplating whether I should include the ICU
project in the ActiveDiatheke workspace, since it isn't necessarily
going to be built by those who don't need/want ICU.

> It leads me to wonder: how long does it take to rebuild Sword?

A while.

--Chris