[sword-devel] Greek-Dutch and Greek-English Interlinear

Simon sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 16 May 2003 02:02:41 +0200

> We will actually have an interlinearized form of the KJV
> completed when
> the KJV2003 is finished.  It would be good to go back and
> convert it into
> an interlinear Greek text, where the word order follows the
> Greek instead
> of the KJV, but that exercise is mostly mechanical.

Well, if that can be done mechanical I'm not going to spend time on it,
doing it manually.

> You should try to figure out which Greek text the translation
> you use is
> based on and use that as a base (if it is available).  That
> means a TR for
> the KJV and whatever you are translating for your Dutch
> translation (or
> the basis of a translation you're updating, if that's the case).

The basis Dutch translation I'm using is neither from the Textus
Receptus, or the Majority Text, but a text between that two (it follows
the MT quite closely, only when the TR has some words that are not in
the MT, the TR is followed (for example: it does have the '3 heavenly
witnesses' text, that is missing in the MT). So I guess I'm going for
the MT

> (Using OSIS simplifies this too.

Is their in OSIS a standard way to define the translation of a word?

> You might be able to convince Troy to help you by extending
> his interlinearizer tool
> (http://www.crosswire.org/sword/kjv2003/index.> html)
> to be a
> more general translation tool, which amount
> to working directly
> with a Sword module in OSIS format.  So you could edit and
> test in Sword immediately.)

I'm going to contact him for it, thanks for the idea!

Greetz,

Simon