[sword-devel] Building CVS sources

Tom Pollard sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 20:10:20 -0400

Hi,

I'm a Unix developer who's interested in helping out on the Sword
project, and particularly on the native MacOS X interface for Sword.  I
tried to build the current sword sources from the CVS repository
yesterday, but ran into problems.  I've tried building on both RedHat
7.1 and MacOS X 10.2.6 systems, but neither was successful.

Under RedHat, I installed autoconf 2.57 and automake 1.6.3 and ran
autogen.sh.  That was successful, but when I then tried to run
usrinst.sh, it failed with the message

./ltconfig:  ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed

What version of libtool do I need?  In the installation instructions
for the current libtool sources (downloaded from the GNU site), they
mention that automake needs to be patched to exclude 'ltconfig' from
the list of 'libtoolize_files', so I'm worried that perhaps the current
versions of all these tools are not compatible with the current sword
sources.

Under MacOS X, I installed autoconf 2.57 and automake 1.6.3 using Fink,
along with libtool 1.3.5-12.   In this case, autogen.sh failed, with
the message

*** Recreating the Makefile.in files
./autogen.sh: line 15: 12728 Segmentation fault      $AUTOMAKE -ac
--foreign

So, I'm open to any help anyone can give.

Yours in Christ,

Tom