[sword-devel] Web Interface - Scripture Markup

David Cary sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:28:26 -0600

Dear Don A. Elbourne Jr.,

That looks like a perfectly adequate structure. Naturally I would like to
add <... id="6:29" > anchors to each verse so I can make a link jump right
to the 29th verse.

Going to Print  http://www.alistapart.com/stories/goingtoprint/ has a nifty
way to make every link visible, without having 2 copies of each URI. I
wonder if it's possible to use this trick to make the verse numbers visible
as well as embedded in anchors, without having 2 copies of each verse number.

Many other people also re-invent their own special tags that they then
document as "basically marking a paragraph", rather than using the <p> tag.
I fail to see why.

Occasionally I see text that cannot be placed into a strict hierarchy
(there's overlapping sections, paragraphs, and verses). For example, 2
Thessalonians 2 in my (paper) Ryrie Study Bible looks something like this:

---
B  Its Relation to the Apostasy,
         2:3a

3Don't let anyone deceive you in
any way, for [that day will not
come] until the rebellion occurs

C Its Relation to the Man of
         Lawlessness, 2:3b-4

and the man of lawlessness is
revealed, ....
---
which shows commentary breaking into the middle of a verse in the middle of
a paragraph (in the middle of a sentence, even).
(Parenthetical note:
I wonder -- does the commentary even belong in the same (source) file as
the biblical text ?
Does it make any sense to put commentary in a separate file, and try to
apply the same commentary file to a KJV file on Sunday (blending into a
single XHTML file to display) and a WEB file on Monday ?
)

Paragraph breaks in the middle of a verse seem to be extremely rare,
but I see one at the end of 1 Timothy 6:
---
G Towards One's Trust,
         6:20-21

    20Timothy, guard what has been