[sword-devel] Explaine ThML markup

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:18:10 +0100

>interpreter, because I use completely different fonts for both Greek and
>Hebrew, that are not to be encoded to UTF-8. The fonts are taken from Bible

The Sword engine needs to run not only on Windows with western/russian
charsets, but also on asian versions of Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
etc. So the best compromise is to use UTF-8 for everything and let the
Sword engine decode it to whatever the local system needs.

>Works project and are bwgrkl.ttf and bwhebb.ttf. If I don't apply these fonts,
>all the greek and hebrew words would be without accents, etc.

Well, these are _your_ favourite fonts, but other people might have
different preferences. We have been discussing font selection
mechanisms, and the consensus seems to be to have the user choose the
fonts they want for a specific module or even for a specific
language. We've had enough trouble with e.g. the Websters module
having referenced the font "Code2000" in their config file. Yes, it
might be the optimal choice in terms of display, but for those that
didn't have the font installed, the display is mangled and they ask
sword-support to fix it. Also, some people use Sword on computers
where they don't have the liberty to install their own fonts.

Yes, it is (deliberately) hard to enforce your own style on your
module. But this makes it easier for more people to use your module
in the way _they_ want to use it.

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"Real theology is always rather shocking to people who already think
they know what they think. I'm still shocked myself."  -- Larry Wall