[sword-devel] Explaine ThML markup

Victor Zhuromsky sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:57:11 +0200

--------------040204070909090805030301

Tanks for explanations, but it is really discauraging that I don't have
such freedom with Sword engine as I would do with amy HTML browser or
original ThML interpreter, because I use completely different fonts for
both Greek and Hebrew, that are not to be encoded to UTF-8. The fonts
are taken from Bible Works project and are bwgrkl.ttf and bwhebb.ttf. If
I don't apply these fonts, all the greek and hebrew words would be
without accents, etc.

Anyway, I will try making the module in ThML because it is free, but
OSIS is a commercial language and is not good for use in GNU project.
That is my opinion.

One more question. How should i mark my Strong's numbers that they are
targets in my lexicon, for other bible texts to point to it?

Should I use such scheme for making my lexicon module:

<ThML>
<ThML.body>

<glossary type="lexicon">

<term>00001</term> # Where the 00001 is Strong's number
<def>...</def> # Where is all the entry data

<term>05624</term> # Where the 05624 is Strong's number
<def>...</def> # Where is all the entry data

</glossary>
</ThML.body>
</ThML>

or may be it should look like

<ThML>
<ThML.body>

<sync type="Strongs" value="G1" /><br /> # Where the G1 is Strong's number
... # Where is all the entry data<br /><br />

<sync type="Strongs" value="G5624" /><br /> # Where the G5624 is
Strong's number
... # Where is all the entry data<br /><br />

</ThML.body>
</ThML>

Victor Zhuromsky.

Chris Little wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Victor Zhuromsky wrote:
>

>>Dear Chris,
>>could you please, explain to me what tags of ThML to use for making
>>Greek-Russian Lexicon module with (1) Strong's numbers, (2) inside
>>cross-references, (3) Scripture references and (4) font selection for
>>Greek and Hebrew selections.
>>

>I would actually recommend using OSIS.  At the moment, it is unsupported
>by Sword, but this will be quickly remedied (as soon as someone un-breaks
>BibleCS).  Once it is, all modules will be converted to OSIS format.  So I
>will answer your questions in terms of both ThML and OSIS:
>
>For ThML: (all documented at http://www.ccel.org/ThML/)
>(1) <sync type="Strongs" value="G42" /> marks Strong's Greek lemma 42.
>(2) The URI format for ThML is described at
>http://www.ccel.org/ThML/ccel-URI.htm but we do not currently support this
>(and never will).  You may use <a [name|id]="..."> and <a href="...">
>pairs to link within a single entry, and it will work in those front-ends
>that use HTML for rendering, but you cannot link to other entries and it
>will not work in the Windows front-end.
>(3) <scripRef passage="John 3:16">John 3:16</scripRef>  Anything that
>Sword can parse may go into the passage attribute.
>(4) Font selection is heavily discouraged and (I hope) not supported.
>Everything should be encoded as UTF-8 and the front-end should be left to
>determine how to assign fonts.  Theoretically, you could use the HTML
>
>For OSIS: (documented at http://www.bibletechnologies.net/OSISTools.dsp)
>(1) <w lemma="x-Strong:G42">some Greek word</w> achieves the same thing as
>the above <sync> tag in ThML.
>(2) Mark targets with osisID attributes and mark <reference> tags with the
>same osisRef value.
>(3) <reference osisRef="Bible:John.3.16">John 3:16</reference> achieves
>thesame thing as the above <scripRef> tag, but the value of osisRef must
>be a valid osisRef and the reference itself must follow the book name
>abbreviations described here:
>http://www.bibletechnologieswg.org/osis/specs/BibleBookNames.html .
>(4) Discouraged and not possible.  OSIS is entirely semantic, not
>presentational.
>
>--Chris

--------------040204070909090805030301

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Tanks for explanations, but it is really discauraging that I don't have such
freedom with Sword engine as I would do with amy HTML browser or original
ThML interpreter, because I use completely different fonts for both Greek
and Hebrew, that are not to be encoded to UTF-8. The fonts are taken from
Bible Works project and are bwgrkl.ttf and bwhebb.ttf. If I don't apply these
fonts, all the greek and hebrew words would be without accents, etc.<br>
Anyway, I will try making the module in ThML because it is free, but OSIS
is a commercial language and is not good for use in GNU project. That is
my opinion.<br>
One more question. How should i mark my Strong's numbers that they are targets
in my lexicon, for other bible texts to point to it?<br>
Should I use such scheme for making my lexicon module:<br>
&lt;ThML&gt;<br>
&lt;ThML.body&gt;<br>
&lt;glossary type="lexicon"&gt;<br>
&lt;term&gt;00001&lt;/term&gt; # Where the 00001 is Strong's number<br>
&lt;def&gt;...&lt;/def&gt; # Where is all the entry data<br>
...<br>
&lt;term&gt;05624&lt;/term&gt; # Where the 05624 is Strong's number<br>
 &lt;def&gt;...&lt;/def&gt; # Where is all the entry data<br>
&lt;/glossary&gt;<br>
&lt;/ThML.body&gt;<br>
 &lt;/ThML&gt;<br>
or may be it should look like <br>
&lt;ThML&gt;<br>
 &lt;ThML.body&gt;<br>
&lt;sync type="Strongs" value="G1" /&gt;&lt;br /&gt; # Where the G1 is Strong's
number<br>
 ... # Where is all the entry data&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br>
 ...<br>
 &lt;sync type="Strongs" value="G5624" /&gt;&lt;br /&gt; # Where the G5624
is Strong's number<br>
  ... # Where is all the entry data&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br>
&lt;/ThML.body&gt;<br>
  &lt;/ThML&gt;<br>
Victor Zhuromsky.<br>
Chris Little wrote:<br>
 cite="midPine.LNX.4.44.0303241546500.30893-100000@www.crosswire.org">
could you please, explain to me what tags of ThML to use for making
Greek-Russian Lexicon module with (1) Strong's numbers, (2) inside
cross-references, (3) Scripture references and (4) font selection for
Greek and Hebrew selections.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I would actually recommend using OSIS.  At the moment, it is unsupported
by Sword, but this will be quickly remedied (as soon as someone un-breaks
BibleCS).  Once it is, all modules will be converted to OSIS format.  So I
will answer your questions in terms of both ThML and OSIS:

For ThML: (all documented at <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.ccel.org/ThML/">http://www.ccel.org/ThML/</a>)
(1) &lt;sync type="Strongs" value="G42" /&gt; marks Strong's Greek lemma 42.
(2) The URI format for ThML is described at
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.ccel.org/ThML/ccel-URI.htm">http://www.ccel.org/ThML/ccel-URI.htm</a> but we do not currently support this
(and never will).  You may use &lt;a [name|id]="..."&gt; and &lt;a href="..."&gt;
pairs to link within a single entry, and it will work in those front-ends
that use HTML for rendering, but you cannot link to other entries and it
will not work in the Windows front-end.
(3) &lt;scripRef passage="John 3:16"&gt;John 3:16&lt;/scripRef&gt;  Anything that
Sword can parse may go into the passage attribute.
(4) Font selection is heavily discouraged and (I hope) not supported.
Everything should be encoded as UTF-8 and the front-end should be left to
determine how to assign fonts.  Theoretically, you could use the HTML
&lt;font&gt; tag.

For OSIS: (documented at <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.bibletechnologies.net/OSISTools.dsp">http://www.bibletechnologies.net/OSISTools.dsp</a>)
(1) &lt;w lemma="x-Strong:G42"&gt;some Greek word&lt;/w&gt; achieves the same thing as
the above &lt;sync&gt; tag in ThML.
(2) Mark targets with osisID attributes and mark &lt;reference&gt; tags with the
same osisRef value.
(3) &lt;reference osisRef="Bible:John.3.16"&gt;John 3:16&lt;/reference&gt; achieves
thesame thing as the above &lt;scripRef&gt; tag, but the value of osisRef must
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.bibletechnologieswg.org/osis/specs/BibleBookNames.html">http://www.bibletechnologieswg.org/osis/specs/BibleBookNames.html</a> .