[sword-devel] Palm Bible

Barry Drake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:31:26 -0000

Hi there ........

On 12 Mar 2003 at 16:34, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> :) maybe someday.  I'd be interested in working with a group of people to
> make this happen.  If I hear much response to this thread with willing
> volunteers, we can start a group/project aimed at this end.

My thoughts - for what they're worth.  The Palm OS is primitive and slow.
It has to be.  None of the Palms have much memory, and the architecture can
never be as fast as your slowest PC.  It's the nature of the beast.  Having
said that, the two translations I have in parallel on my Palm using Palm
Bible are very adequate for the purpose.  I can and do change them from
time to time according to my needs, and as I can have access to any of my
Sword modules for this purpose, the two I can have on board at any one time
can be very varied - and one of them can be a commentary if I so choose.

Given the limitations of the Palm and its OS, I really don't think it worth
pushing the system any further.  I feel quite honestly that we could make
the biggest contribution if we were to offer every Sword module we have as
a Palm database, along with the Palm Bible, in its GPL form.  We have that
already, and the modules are so quick and easy to make, it wouldn't take a
lot of work.  If then, some enthusiast from our number wanted to make
improvemements to the GPL Palm Bible software, that would be possible.  I
see porting of the Sword engine as relatively pointless.  The whole of it
would be too memory hungry.  Just as one example, Palm stuff has a native
compression/expansion routine used by all the document readers.  Why soak
up precious memory by adding a second one?  Also, to include handling of
many types (structures) of module as Sword does would prove nothing more
than a memory sink on the Palm architecture.

That's my bit - for what it's worth.  And yes - I would be part of a group
'doing things' if we went down that path!

God bless,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United Reformed
church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk for our church
homepages).

Replies - b.drake@ntlworld.com