[sword-devel] UI for Windows Question...

David Mullens sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:40:07 -0500

Hi,

I'm basically a java coder, but I purchased the .Net C# studio.  I've
played around with it a bit.  If you end up doing something in C# let me
know.

Peace,

Dave.

Never doubt that a group of thoughtfully, creative people can change the
world - Margaret Mead

Turner.
> I've
> been following the Sword project off and on for a while now and just
> thought
> I would make the move to get involved. I have recently read
"Revolution in
> World Missions" by K.P. Yohannan (Pres of Gospel For Asia) and have
been
> looking into the work that Voice of the Martyrs and Wycliffe Bible
> Translators have been accomplishing. These things have moved me to
want to
> help with God's work. So, I started looking at what I could do.
>
> I think that the work that you guys have done is awesome. The library
of
> books
> available is incredable. However, it seems that the windows
userinterface
> is
> a little dated. I personally prefer Linux and despise Microsoft and
> everything that they stand for, however, most people in the world run
> windows
> and the Sword project could have it's biggest potential impact in the
> Windows
> world.
>
> So, to get to my point, I was considering writing a new UI in .NET.
> However,
> .NET cannot utilize native C++ libraries. It can use Managed C++, C#,
> ActiveX
> DLL's and native C libraries. Since I cannot use the Sword API as it
> stands,
> I was considering reimplementing a subset of it in .NET, and then
building
> the UI on top of that. Of course releasing the whole thing under the
GPL.

> So, I'm looking for comments. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Is
> there
> anything that I have missed? Should I take a closer look at Diatheke
or
> ActiveDiatheke? Is someone else already working on a new Windows
client?

> Thanks.
>
> Jason Turner
>
> On Monday 10 March 2003 09:27 pm, David Trotz wrote:
> > No the windows version does not allow this. Certain versions of the
> bible
> > will automatically break the paragraph into seperate lines per
verse,
> but
> > other than that the answer is no. Sorry. It may be added someday.
David