[sword-devel] Re: taking up a collection

Ross Purdy sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:44:08 -0500

Hi Chris,

The CD ROM I ordered for the advertised price from Sergej nine months ago
and did not recieve looks exactly like what ProQuest/Chadwyk-Healey offers,
same versions et al! He won't communicate to indict or clear himself so I
can't pass judgment. Maybe he is paying someone to just type in verse
numbers and remove the Chadwyk-Healey headers and footers, maybe not.

I sent him almost $200.00 for Wycliffe and Tyndale NT which I thought he was
making available freely after that. It seems he is charging everyone the
full amount for copies of the files.

If these files are in txt format with Chadwyk-Healey's name and formating
removed, is that an ethical violation or just a legal violation?

My files are downloads of the Chadwyk-Healey files but I did not enter in to
any agreement with them. A student who had access did so from a computer off
campus that was not his. After having done that, anyone can now access the
Bibles from that computer. If I download those Bibles and remove all
formating and modify them with verse numbers and fill in missing letters and
check them and correct them against scanned images from solascriptura's
offerings, am I guilty of wrong doing?

Sincerely,
Ross Purdy