[sword-devel] Sword Vision -Re: free Windows compiler for SWORD

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:23:09 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Little" <chrislit@crosswire.org>
To: <sword-devel@crosswire.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] free Windows compiler for SWORD
> Cost of entry into module making is intentionally high to avoid a huge
> influx of bad modules from people with only a passing interest in the
work.

In other words, the theological content of programmers is much more
important than the theological content of pastors, teachers, theologians, or
seminary professors.  If you would rather spend your time studying the Bible
and writing sermons and articles rather than learning how to program,
compile, and hand markup your text in OSIS, buzz off!

Of course I'm being sarcastic, but that does seem to be the sentiment of the
Sword Project. I like the idea of an Open Source Bible Software package. My
vision is that there would be a software platform that would allow pastors
and teachers to easily place their work into an integrated Bible software
program. Maybe its because I'm a Baptist, but the decentralized bazaar open
to the masses is much more appealing to me than the cathedral building of a
project in the hands of a few.  But I seem to be in the minority. To
intentionally keep the module creation learning curve high to hedge against
an influx of modules created by non-geeks seems awfully close to the Roman
Catholic idea prevalent in the middle ages that kept the Bible out of the
hands of the laity. Just as it was dangerous for them to allow any man in
the pew to interpret the Bible for himself, it is too risky to allow any
Tom, Dick, or Larry to create their own Sword modules. Bible interpretation
should be kept in the hands of the priesthood and module creation should be
kept in the hands of the programmers, at least that is what I seem to be
hearing.

Troy, Chris, and everyone else who has been around for a while knows that I
love the Sword Project and want to see it succeed. So don't take this post
as derogatory. I love ya'll and think you are doing a great job. Chris just
hit a nerve with me with that last post. It brought into focus the
difference with what I'd like to see in the project and what actually is.
I'll still continue to support the project where I can, that is if Troy
doesn't kick me out for making this post. :)

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org