[sword-devel] Re: [sword-devel]Squeak Sword UI

Jimmie Houchin sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:47:51 -0600

porton@narod.ru wrote:
>>>Similar to what others have suggested, you might think of just doing an
>>>OSIS reader and not try to read Sword modules.  There are quite a few of
>>>them and you'll need to be quite familiar with C++ in order to understand
>>>the code that reads/writes them.
>>
>>Naive question alert...
>>You mean I can't reverse engineer them from the text markup itself?
>
> Jimmie, Sword modules are binaries, not text! Some of these are even
> compressed files.

Therein lies part of my misconception. I had only looked at the rawtext
directories. I hadn't yet explored the ztext. Because the KJV resides in
rawtext, that's where I spent my time looking.

>>The Java frontend, does it use the Sword libraries or will there be Java
>>code for reading Sword modules?
>
> There are more than one Java frontend. The answer is different for different
> frontends.
>
>>It is quite possible I am underestimating the task of reading/parsing
>>Sword modules. I thought the modules/text/rawtext/***/ot
>>modules/text/rawtext/***/nt were simply text files which the Sword
>>libraries parsed to create what was sent to the front end.
>>
>>Am I missing something significant?
>>Is all I need not in those files?
>
> These are binaries. There are not only RawText, but also several other formats you need.

I am beginning to see. :)

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to dig a little deeper.

Jimmie Houchin