[sword-devel] Re: [sword-devel]Squeak Sword UI

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:28:37 +0500

> > Similar to what others have suggested, you might think of just doing an
> > OSIS reader and not try to read Sword modules.  There are quite a few of
> > them and you'll need to be quite familiar with C++ in order to understand
> > the code that reads/writes them.
>
> Naive question alert...
> You mean I can't reverse engineer them from the text markup itself?

Jimmie, Sword modules are binaries, not text! Some of these are even
compressed files.

> The Java frontend, does it use the Sword libraries or will there be Java
> code for reading Sword modules?

There are more than one Java frontend. The answer is different for different
frontends.

> It is quite possible I am underestimating the task of reading/parsing
> Sword modules. I thought the modules/text/rawtext/***/ot
> modules/text/rawtext/***/nt were simply text files which the Sword
> libraries parsed to create what was sent to the front end.
>
> Am I missing something significant?
> Is all I need not in those files?

These are binaries. There are not only RawText, but also several other formats you need.
--
Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com)