[sword-devel] New filter for red letter words

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:49:56 -0700

At 12:32 AM 1/15/2003 -0800, Daniel Russell wrote:
>Number one rule in software:
>
>Power to the user is more valuable than any philosophy that he programmers
>may artificially impose on the project....

This is another way in which users are not all the same, and you need to
determine which group of users is your target. Some software with the most
power to the user and no apparent philosophies are among the most  hated,
hard to learn and hard to use, though sometimes the most powerful. A
philosophy can give a program some coherence and make it more intuitive,
especially if the user knows that the program was written with that
particular philosophy.

As to power over texts, this is something that can get users in trouble and
embarrassed. If a module is suppose to contain the text of a work of a
certain author. but options and filters in the software produce a
derivative text of it, users may quote that derivative text as the words of
that author. This can attribute words to an author he never said. It can
also make it seem that the author believed something he was opposed to. It
makes the user and the software look bad. There is already a problem with
other software of people quoting and wrongly crediting the quote to an
author instead of the software and its creators. We should be careful not
to become part of that problem.

Jerry