[sword-devel] New filter for red letter words

Daniel Russell sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:32:13 -0800

Number one rule in software:

Power to the user is more valuable than any philosophy that he
programmers may artificially impose on the project.
Here i use the word "artificially" in the sense that the philosophy is
contrived' as opposed to being a natural restriction, under whatever
rationale.

I wish this golden rule of software design was followed, but more oft
than not, programmers are very adamant about "how things should be".

I'm currently working on a project that will eventually become an
interface to Sword, i hope. Rule #1 for me is that i don't restrict
myself. If a feature is avaible, i'll put it in whenever possible.
However, i've seen so many times in this forum these artificial, almost
religious, adherences to restrictions.

I think sometimes programmers take their philosophies a *lot* more
seriously than the rest of the world. But the software is for the rest
of the world ;).

Just my two cents from countless fustrating encounters with such
philosophies as reported in various READMEs, FAQs, project manifests,
etc... for various proggies.
I've come to be highly suspect of the worth of any philosophy where the
programmers say "we didn't think this was a feature that 'fit-in' with
our paradigm" or something of the sort.
Please don't flame me. :P