[sword-devel] New filter for red letter words

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:50:20 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Joachim Ansorg wrote:

> Hey Chris,
> it wasn't my intention to start a flame war :)

I know.  I wasn't meaning to sound like I was attacking you or anything
and I'm sorry if I did.  I just didn't feel this was something we really
needed.  Realizing that the data IS still intact in the module, I guess
there's no substantive harm if people like this feature and want it
available.

> We just remove the red color, but no text. The red color was added later by
> the translators but it's no in the original ancient texts. Just like
> footnotes. Or am I wrong here?

Well... sort of.  The Gospel writers certainly didn't change to red ink or
anything when they were transcribing Jesus's words.  But, it is an
integral part of some translations and should be rendered faithfully as
those translations are rendered in print (just as we should try to more
faithfully render poetry layout as Michael Paul Johnson suggested).
Something that did not occur to me at the time I wrote my last message was
that there are translations (e.g. the KJV) where red lettering was added
after the fact by later editors/publishers.  So there it is presumably
good to have the option of toggling.

--Chris