[sword-devel] New filter for red letter words

Rev. Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:46:22 +1000

--=====================_7891046==_.ALT

At 14:49 14-01-03 -0700, Chris Little wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Joachim Ansorg wrote:
>
>> I just added a new strip filter for red letter words. Works on my side.
>
>This constitutes altering text presentation.  Whenever possible, we do not
>do this or allow this because it is not our right to choose presentation
>of books that we did not author.  We try to (and need to) maintain as
>much as possible of the presentation format of text editions.
>
>We also shouldn't be writing filters and otherwise modifying Sword for
>everyone who comes along declaring that something is unbiblical.  Will you
>also write a filter to convert instances of Lord back to YWHW because it
>is an affront to God that we try to hide his name?  Or better, back to
>Hebrew because it is an affront to God that we should render his name in
>any but His Chosen Language?

In the World English Bible and HNV, the reason red letter tags were added was because (1) some publishers and users might want a red letter edition, and (2) we preferred to have the red letter markings edited and checked with the same process as the rest of the text for better accuracy. In the original languages, there were no red letters. In the Hebrew, however, a separate pen and ink was often used to write God's proper Name. In the Greek, no such distinction was made for God's Name. Most major publishers make common Bible translations available in both "black letter" and "red letter" editions. In the  In my humble opinion, optional display of Jesus' direct quotations in an alternate color (i. e. red or bold) should be a configurable option in good Bible study software.

In the HTML that I post on http://eBible.org/bible/web/ and http://eBible.org/bible/hnv/, if you change the one line in web.css that reads
span.j {display: inline; color: red} /* Quotation of Jesus */
replacing the word "red" with "black" then you globally change the display of Jesus' quotes from red to black font color. I made it that easy on purpose.

Now if you really want to be picky about the translation presentation format, then preserve the poetry/prose format and versification scheme, including the number of verses in Acts 14 and 16, where the Greek Majority Text and Textus Receptus differ, and in the "Protestant" and "Catholic" Bibles.

Of course you are right in that no changes to the actual text of a Bible translation should be made by the program.

Rev. Michael Paul Johnson
Servant of Jesus Christ
mpj@eBible.org
http://eBible.org/mpj/

--=====================_7891046==_.ALT

wrote:<br><br>
&gt; I just added a new strip filter for red letter words. Works on my
side.<br><br>
This constitutes altering text presentation.&nbsp; Whenever possible, we
do not<br>
do this or allow this because it is not our right to choose
presentation<br>
of books that we did not author.&nbsp; We try to (and need to) maintain
as <br>
much as possible of the presentation format of text editions.<br><br>
We also shouldn't be writing filters and otherwise modifying Sword for
everyone who comes along declaring that something is unbiblical.&nbsp;
Will you <br>
also write a filter to convert instances of Lord back to YWHW because it
is an affront to God that we try to hide his name?&nbsp; Or better, back
to <br>
Hebrew because it is an affront to God that we should render his name in
In the World English Bible and HNV, the reason red letter tags were added
was because (1) some publishers and users might want a red letter
edition, and (2) we preferred to have the red letter markings edited and
checked with the same process as the rest of the text for better
accuracy. In the original languages, there were no red letters. In the
Hebrew, however, a separate pen and ink was often used to write God's
proper Name. In the Greek, no such distinction was made for God's Name.
Most major publishers make common Bible translations available in both
&quot;black letter&quot; and &quot;red letter&quot; editions. In
the&nbsp; In my humble opinion, optional display of Jesus' direct
quotations in an alternate color (i. e. red or bold) should be a
configurable option in good Bible study software.<br><br>
In the HTML that I post on
Now if you really want to be picky about the translation presentation format, then preserve the poetry/prose format and versification scheme, including the number of verses in Acts 14 and 16, where the Greek Majority Text and Textus Receptus differ, and in the &quot;Protestant&quot; and &quot;Catholic&quot; Bibles.<br><br>
Of course you are right in that no changes to the actual text of a Bible translation should be made by the program.<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Servant of Jesus Christ<br>
mpj@eBible.org<br>