[Fwd: [sword-devel] FACTS]

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 22:45:57 -0700

At 12:06 AM 1/6/2003 -0500, David's Mailing List and Spam Receiver wrote:
>The hebrew dictionay has this note at the bottom,
>"The Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon is Brown, Driver, Briggs, Gesenius Lexicon;
>this is keyed to the "Theological Word Book of the Old Testament." These
>files are considered public domain"
>
>Food for thought.

If they produced these files themselves then that may be useful information
if you get and use the files from their own server. If they didn't produce
these files or you get them from some other source it is less certain what
you actually have. There are files out there that claim to be from Bible
Foundation, but BF never had them. And then there is Vine's. BF took that
file down because it had copyright restored, but you can download that file
from many places that claim it is still PD.

If you want to be sure about the state of a work, go to the source, and
then, verify it against a printed PD version. It would be good if The SWORD
Project could have all the modules verified as true to their PD origins by
working with something like CCEL. Put the text up and let people proofread
it. Even better if you start with new scans and proofread them. This way
verified works can be produced that we know had nothing to do with other
electronic versions, even if what is produced is 100% the same. This will
allow more modules to be distributed without having to have special
agreements so not to offend "good guys" that believe they need to give
permission and get credit.

Even if you have talked to the source of an electronic version and all is
cool with that source, but you copy the work of a CD that came from third
party, that party may, rightly or wrongly, take issue with you taking it
from their CD. They may call it stealing. Better to skip the other party.

Jerry