[sword-devel] updated module-making instructions

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:53:06 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Brook Humphrey wrote:

> Thanks Chris. I spent last weekend looking up both thml and osis and was
> wondering if I did it in osis how it would be. I see you covered that though.
> One thing, will sword ever support osis directly or will it always be
> converted to gbf.

I'm not sure what you mean by gbf.  If you mean General Bible Format (as
in the markup language), we don't require changing to GBF.  We will
support OSIS markup internally soon.

If you mean general book format, we don't necessarily require using the
general book module type.  We'll support OSIS markup for Bibles,
commentaries, dictionaries, etc.

If you mean to ask whether we're going to support OSIS documents without
any import/processing, the answer is essentially no.  There will always be
some kind of processing and indexing at least.  We might integrate an
osis2[gbs|vs|ld] type of utility in Sword and the frontends at some point,
so that any user could easily import an OSIS book, but that just moves
the conversion processing from the developer to the user.  We might also
embed such a tool in a way that the original OSIS document is used as the
data file and is unmodified, so that it can be changed in an editor and
re-indexed by Sword very easily.  I'm not planning to do either of these
immediately and Troy hasn't suggested that he was going to either, but
they would make nice additions.  To the user, they won't make a lot of
difference other than forcing them to endure a bit of indexing time
whenever they install new OSIS modules.

--Chris