wxsword: was: Re: [sword-devel] New Windows SWORD GUI

Jason Turner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:07:44 -0700

I have been thinking a lot about BibleStudy (aka wxSword) since sending my
message to the list last night, and I have come to some conclusions.
Hopefully they will work out for the best for everyone who has been, is and
hopes to be involved.

I have been out of the sword loop for a little while, so I feel like I should
start by giving an update on my life, tho I'm not sure how many people really
remember me :).

I got involved with sword while I was unemployed, I just looked at my CVS logs
and it seems that my first check in was on April 1, 03. I had been out of
work Since Dec 8, 02 and had reached a point where I said "well, as long as I
have all this free time, maybe I can do something for God." I started getting
a burning drive to release free, extremely easy to use biblesoftware that
could ultimately be given away on the street corner. I reached many of my
goals, in that the current .iso can be popped into the drive and run from CD
with absolutely no software being installed.

The list of the goals that I had are here: http://sourceforge.net/docman/
display_doc.php?docid=16536&group_id=11936

At the time, I did not contribute to the main windows gui mainly because I did
not have access to Borland C++, but I also wanted to make something that
seemed to me a little less overwhelming (i.e. a move away from the monolithic
tabbed interface that  (nothing personal) gnomesword and biblecs share)

I chose WX because it uses native widgets (controls) on any platform, so the
apps always look "right." As opposed to QT, which has it's own widgets. And
this fit well with my goal of the average joe on the street being able to use
it and not be confused by it.

So, to continue with the updates, I got a job in July and dropped all work on
the project ... I don't know why. That job was o.k. not very interesting
work, and didn't pay much, but great benefits. 10 weeks ago I had a freakish
accident where I bit a hole in my lip while trying to perform a flip in an
inflatible castle at my neighbor's 3 year old's party. As a result I was home
from work that monday. I applied for exactly one job. I had a whirlwind round
of interviews and started 7 weeks ago.

I now have a job that I love, for the first time ever. Programming for a
company that is developing thier own line of home automation products for
highend homes. I am personally doing Linux - QT development at the moment,
and working with a great group of guys. The average is something like a
Master's degree in the appropriate discipline (CS, EE, etc) and > 10 years of
experience.

I recently asked a co-worker how in the world I got my job compared to
everyone else's experience (3.5 years, B.S. CS) He said it was because I was
the only interviewee with Linux GUI development experience!! Why? BibleStudy!
All of my primary development was on linux with occasional ports to windows
(minimal effort usually required).

So, that aside, from what I have seen on the list in the recent weeks it seems
that we all share common goals, a simple easy to use bible software, that
works on low-to-high end machines (biblestudy should work properly on window
'95 with unicode support). The other goals that don't seem to have been
mentioned recently are: personal commentary/diary with integration with David
Trotz's excellent reading planner.

So, to sum up, I want to pick back up work on BibleStudy, and finally try to
get a real release out. I know that keeping a project organized takes a lot
of work, I'm volunteering to [stay|become] the guy for that. Hopefully we can
work together on this. Like I said before, my source is GPL so if you
(whoever) want to go off on your own thing you are free to.

I have two suggestions to make:

1) We move future wx-windows related discussion to the wxsword-devel mailing
list: http://www.crosswire.org/mailman/listinfo/wxsword-devel it is fine with
me if forks are discussed here.

2) PLEASE PLEASE Troy, if you made it this far in reading, can we have a
little screen shot and maybe a link to  sourceforge and/or the wiki on the
crosswire page so these questions about wxwindows version of sword stop
comming up every few months with everyone trying to scramble to see which
project is where. Thanks!

God Bless,
Jason Turner