[sword-devel] New Windows SWORD GUI

Simon Lagendijk sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:50:11 +0100

>There are just a few people on the project, myself, Dan Glassey and David
>Trotz, but there has not been any development since I got un-unemployed (July
>'03). Since the project is GPL feel free to take the source and run with it.
>

>I have been considering starting up on it again, so I'm going to retain
>control of the sourceforge project (esp since it also houses my several other
>projects). If I decide to start up on it again I may join you if I like the
>direction that you are going.

Thats OK, I'll create a new project at sourceforge. Btw, what is the
official name of your software? In the aboutbox it is BibleStudy, but
sometimes people refer to it as wxSword. If the name wxSword is free,
I'm going to use that for the new GUI.

>Oh yes, I will also mention that Sven Vollbehr has put a lot of effort into
>designing a new gui and may want to work with you.

I'm very interested. Is the GUI of Sven Vollbehr available for download
somewhere, so I can take a look at it?

>Also, if you aren't
>exactly sure which direction you want to take the project, I (and probably
>David Trotz) would be happy to make suggestions.

All ideas are welcome!

Things that are on top of my list are:
- Parallelview (somthing like the new Sword webtool)
- Paragraph view
- Extra display settings:
    * Font per texttype (normal bible/commentary text, strongnr's,
notes, etc)
    * Backgroundcolor
- Print support
- Show strongnr-orientated info when moving the mouse above a word (ie:
the same as it is now, only then without showing the strongnrs)
- Bookmarks (like the Sword for Windows)

But, first I have to fix a very strange problem: both the wxWindows and
the Sword libraries work fine (tested them seperately), but as soon as I
link the Sword Library with a program that uses wxWindows, the new
compiled application terminates directly, even without giving an error... :S

Thanks for your reply,

Simon