[sword-devel] LcdBible alpha 0.60a prototype available

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:32:14 -0700

> even though your program is not a Sword-frontend (correct me if I'm
wrong),
> you are required to release it under the GPL since you copied source code
> from Sword (e.g. rawverse.cpp) and mention crosswire as the copyright
holder
> of that code.

Hello Martin,

* I consider "LcdBible" as a "proposed" front-end to The SWORD Project. This
was specifically mentioned in the inital eMail of 2003-Dec-01:
Proposal: New sword front-end -- lcdbible
but I neglected to use that specific word in this eMail. Mea culpa.

* I have no awareness of what is involved in applying for "front-end status"
for software such as LcdBible. I can imagine this would not be a trivial
decision whether it was accepted. (Rejection might well be a trivial
decision.)

* My understanding (from Chris Little) is that LcdBible would not be a
"module". I would appreciate getting information on what is involved in
applying for "front-end status".

* I think of LcdBible as a "plug-in" to the Sword-Api. It exists to take
advantage of the Bible texts that are available using an "experimental"
subset of the Sword-Api. It might possibly "piggy-back" with the Starter-Set
(only adds about 20kb compressed)

* I would appreciate input as to whether there are licenses that might not
be as onerous as GPL? I have no problem with open source, but do have some
(uninformed) concerns about the "GPL-virus" issue? Is LGPL viable? I will
comply with whatever is required, but would like to look into further. The
JSword project has bumped into this issue, and I will check with Joe Walker.

Sharing the reason for the season,
http://learningcards.eeworks.org/EeCard01.html

Lynn Allan