[sword-devel] Evidence Bible - was An awesome Bible

Barry Drake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:11:35 +0100

Hi there ........

On 28 Apr 2003 at 13:06, Christian Renz wrote:
> What is people's opinion about this bible?

My personal opinion is that the English is ..... kind of ponderous and
unnatural:  "Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through
the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom he had
chosen" is hardly everyday language.  A translator might have an excuse for
being a bit flowery in John's gospel, and a bit obscure in Paul's writings -
 but Luke and Acts are very straightforward, and ought to be rendered in
that way.  In the face of that kind of translation,I'd go for CEV or
GodsWord anytime!  New Testament Greek was ordinary colloquial language
after all.

God bless,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United Reformed
church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk for our church
homepages).

Replies - b.drake@ntlworld.com