[sword-devel] Locking of sword modules

Glenn Reed sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:30:11 +1200

Yeah, Ok I understand that the bible societies want to receive a fair and
just wage for the work that I do.  And I understand that the bible societies
have committments to other projects.  But what further committment (from
them) does it take?

In fact, the way I see it, is that by allowing purchase of keys for locked
modules they have everything to gain and nothing to lose and all this without
any greater committment from them.

I tend to think the copying issue of text is meaningless seeing that people
can easily copy whole programs of software without any distribution
safeguards whatsoever.  That is someone could buy the New American Standard,
say, from a lochman foundation authorised software reseller with bible
program for reading their translation and then make copies for all their
friends without there being any checks at all.  In fact the only way around
this, for them, would be to adopt some kind of product activation key system
like Microsoft Office XP, where you have to ring a toll free number or
connect to the internet to register it.  In summary I am saying that copying
bible texts from non-sword sources is much more likely than from us.

Perhaps the best way is to come up with products so that are so much better
than the competition that we can no longer be ignored.  Though I would expect
that this is most likely being achieved in many cases anyway.

A question I have regarding sapphire encryption.
Is the whole file encrypted like zipping a file with a password?  Or is the
text encrypted inside the module?  (I mean leaving the module structure
un-encrypted).  If the text is encrypted inside the module does this lead to
two different sets of api's?  One for unlocked modules and one for locked?

Glenn.