[sword-devel] Doctrinal Statement

Don A. Elbourne Jr. sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:30:56 -0500

I agree. I see no need for the Sword Project to adopt an official doctrinal
statement. This does not mean that doctrine is not important. I believe
doctrine is extremely important. I believe every Christian should hammer out
their own doctrinal statement through careful study of God's Word. The Sword
Project is an excellent tool in the hands of an individual to do just that.

Doctrinal statements serve many purposes, not the least of which is to
define the acceptable boundaries within a group. Boundaries, by nature, are
exclusivistic. Having an official doctrinal statement, no matter how broad
it might be, would imply that "this is what we believe and if you do not
believe this and that, then you are not welcome to be included in our
endeavor." I do not believe anyone here wants to do that. Doing so would run
contrary to the "open" nature of the project IMHO. Even if we did, how would
we do it? The Sword Project does not even have an official membership, so I
am not sure how we would excommunicate someone even if we wanted to.

by grace alone,

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.org