[sword-devel] Texts from WTBC?

Joel Mawhorter sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:16:59 -0700

On October 21, 2002 12:56, Joachim Ansorg wrote:
> Do we already have the texts from
> http://www.wbtc.com/articles/downloads/default.htm in Sword?

I don't believe we do at the moment. I would like to see us get permission to
distribute these for free. If no one beats me to it, I intend in the next
little while to try to convince the WBTC of the value of free Bible study
software.

The WBTC is the most generous of all of the major translation agencies that I
know of when it comes to redistributing their translations. They allow free
redistribution in printed and electronic forms with the following
restrictions:
1. you can't modify the texts
2. you can't use them for comercial purposes
3. you can't host them on a server (no problem there since if someone has
access to the Internet, then can just get them from the WBTC site).

I think these restrictions are quite reasonable and seem to indicate that this
group has their priorities right when it comes to making scripture available
to as many people as possible. This makes me optimistic that they would be
willing to work with Sword.

Please pray that they will be open to the idea and, if you are willing,
contact them and ask for permission.

Joel