[sword-devel] NEW PROJECT: *HELP WANTED*

Fri, 08 Nov 2002 17:38:23 -0700

PREAMBLE

With the recent release of 1.5.5, we've made some big steps in regard to
functionality that we can provide.  Functionality, in general, is
limited by the quality of texts that we can offer to our users.

For the past 2 weeks we've been working on an interface to allow
volunteers to 'markup' texts more richly, so that we might increase the
quality of information we can provide to students of the Bible.

Currently, there is no _free_from_restricted_use_, English Bible NT
sync'd to the original Greek.  For our first new text project, we're
starting a KJV / Textus Receptus parallel text which will be placed into
the public domain upon completion.  There are many Bible projects that
will be able to take advantage of this work, and we will be able to do
some really neat stuff in our project once this data is available to us.

_________________________________

WHAT YOU'D NEED TO DO

A Volunteer will be presented with the translated text, the greek text,
and tags in the translated text that represent each word in the greek
text.  The volunteer will then be allowed to place the greek tags around
the word or phase that represents the translation for that greek word.

If you would like to try a preliminary copy of the editing tool, here
are the instructions. It represents about 10 days of work, so please be
graceful;  it's still fairly crude and just coming together.

After trying, if you feel that you would be willing to commit to
complete 1 or 2 books of the New Testament BEFORE JAN 1, we're setting
up a Wiki page to keep track of who's committed to what.  Our goal is to
finish this first project by Christmas and release in time for New Years.

Please only consider yourself able to do this work if you've had, at
least a basic, Greek class at some time in your life.
__________________________________

INSTRUCTIONS

You'll need a jdk from sun.  I'd recommend 1.4.1 from:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

The jre is fine, unless you'd like the sdk instead, which will allow you
to play around with the source code for our tool.

The latest version of the app is located at:

http://www.crosswire.org/~scribe/ModEdit.jar

and may be downloaded to your computer and executed with a command like:

java -jar ModEdit.jar

or under windows, you might be able to just double-click the jar file.

If you are interested, the source code is available at:

http://www.crosswire.org/~scribe/ModEdit-src.jar

Logins don't work yet, so don't worry about trying to login.

tags or greek words may be selected by clicking on them.
after selecting a tag, you may either drag it where you would like it,
then click on the tail and size it accordingly (remember you must single
click once before dragging), or

I find it easier to use the keyboard to place and size tags:

left, right, space, tab, shift-tab should all be recognized, and a
little playing will give you an idea of how they're supposed to work.

Play around freely,  The text will be refreshed before the project goes
live.

Thanks for taking the time to read down this far and considering helping
with these efforts!  Your prayers are always coveted, and if this is
your contribution to this project, then you'll have helped no less than
any other!

	In Him,
		-Troy A. Griffitts.