[sword-devel] Re: your mail

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:01:12 +0100

>en=Times New Roman
>ru=Times New Roman
>he=code2000

I like the idea of mapping character sets to fonts -- it makes
sense. Maybe even more sense than mapping modules to fonts for some
purposes.

>Note that this file should user-editable, because fonts vary from a
>system to system!

Yes, I'd think an interface comparable to the interface that lets you
set the fonts now would be useful. Also, the file could be prepared
by the Sword Installer -- for example, by setting the font for hebrew
to Code 2000, Arial Unicode MS, or whatever is installed on the system.

>:lang(en) { font-family: "Times New Roman" }
>:lang(ru) { font-family: "Times New Roman" }
>:lang(he) {  font-family: "code2000" }

I don't know. It would be trivial to convert the first format into the
CSS form, but non-trivial to parse the latter for software that
*doesn't* have CSS/XML/... support. I'd stick with one format for the
config files and produce other formats out of them as necessary.

>Note that in CSS there are special font names, which can be used
>instead of font families: serif, sans-serif, cursive, fantasy, and
>monospace.

Yes, but these are not really helpful for our purposes. First of all,
a lot of non-latin character sets don't have a concept of "serif" or
"sans-serif". Secondly, just specifying "sans-serif" will probably
give you Arial or Helvetica, but not a special Unicode font like
"Arial Unicode MS". It is better to specify the fonts exactly.

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than
a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on
the walls of his cell."  -- C.S. Lewis