[sword-devel] Localisation

Jan Paul Schmidt sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 23:27:18 +0200

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 10:39:02AM -0700, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> jps,
> 	So did you write a new de_DE.conf locale for the api?  If so, is it
> properly installed in the locales.d directory?  If you think so, try
> your locale with the sword/tests/parsekey utility and see if it works,
> like this:
> ./parsekey "jas1:19" de_DE

OK, I see we think a bit different. I don't know if you know gettext - a
common way to localise software under unix - , but if you use gettext and
your locale is de_DE, or maybe de_DE@euro, and it does not find a
corresponding locale file, it falls back to de, because de_DE is just a
more precise locale to distinguish between certain difference for the
same languages in different countries. And if there is no specific locale
for de_DE but for de, the user sure preferes german than english, even
if he wanted german as used in germany.

Well, it is not that bad, because I thought I could make a workaround,
as sword only ships with de. But if I set the locale with
setDefaultLocaleName, it is not used as default locale. For example:
GnomeSword uses a VerseKey object to retrieve the book names of the
bible. If I set the locale to de before creating new objects, sword
creates new objects with the locale set by the enviroment variable LANG
and not with the locale set with setDefaultLocaleName. I have to
explicitly set the locale for every object with setLocale.

Now I don't know whose fault it is. I will look more into GnomeSword.
Maybe there are some hidden features I missed ;o)

Up to now, the only chance to get a proper localized is to make a config
file for de_DE (and all the other de locales) or set the LANG variable
to de before starting GnomeSword.

Thanks anyway. Now I know about the test programs for sword :o)