[sword-devel] Official Logo: We need one?!

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:31:16 -0800

I put the largest versions of the logos that I have at
http://www.chiasma.org/~chrislit/bible/logos/.

I would suggest using the horizontally oriented CrossWire Bible Society
logo, minus the motto, for any correspondence.  If we want to use the
Sword logo, it needs some work.  The lettering, for starters, should be
redone using a higher resolution image from Troy.

Brief discussion of the logos, and why they are what they are...

The Sword logo is a sword because it is the logo for the Sword Project.
This was pretty much a no-brainer. :)  I think it's a bit late in the
game to change the motif of the logo since it's a bit late to change the
name of the project.  It is supposed to evoke the image of a cross.  I
would have set it lower, but I ran out of space due to the height of the
text.

The CrossWire logo is supposed to play off of 1) the CROSS, 2) barbed
WIRE, and 3) thorned branches/the crown of thorns.  The leaning cross is
called St. Andrew's Cross, but the real reason it's leaning is because
the graphic + text combination looked better this way.  If you need
symbolism and aren't averse to false etiologies... think of the leaning
cross as being in a carrying position and representing CrossWire's
desire to bear some of the burden of the Bible societies just as Simon
the Cyrene bore some of Christ's burden.  But again, it was really just
an aesthetic judgement.

--Chris