[sword-devel] Idea: integrating with webbrowsers

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:43:21 +0600

We now discuss how to make tools for easy converting of web sites to Sword
modules. (About SwordWriter etc.)

But may be the following would be better: add to the OS new URL handler
(sword: or bible: in addition to http: ftp: etc.) and so just integrate sword
with commonly used HTML/XML readers such as Internet Explorer.

I haven't checked (I have completely no time!) whether it is possible and
simple Windows; with Linux we can, even if it is currently impossible, submit
appropriate patches which would allow creation of new URL types, to Mozilla,
Gnome, and KDE teams.

So will be no need to create separate web site and separate Sword module for
Christian books which are not somehow special and not need very deep
integration with Sword. (E.g. this would be not appropriate with Bible
commentaries deeply linked with verses (comment to every verse in certain
range of verses), but would be quite appropriate with books considering a
topic from Bible (e.g. Biblical concept of prosthood.))
--
Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com)