[sword-devel] Searching and copyrights.

Dan Bertles sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 06:18:46 -0700

Troy,

I hate to agree with Daniel because it means more work for you guys, but
sometimes I do need to see the verse before and after the verse listed to
know if that's the exact one I'm searching for.  The "Back" key does
suffice, and you might want to put this on back burner because of that.
 It's more of a bell and whistle to me than necessary.

On a different issue, but I feel tied in with the above...

Could we eventually get copyright holders (NIV, NASB, etc.) to market Sword
for us and cover all the issues relating to module distribution and royalty
payment, etc.?  If Sword were so polished, we could go to these companies
(I won't make moral statements as to the right to hold these licenses),
 and we could get them their own modules, with all the bells and whistles.
 They could sell the modules at any price that they thought was fair, but
they would be so inclined to distribute Sword with it because there would
be nothing better.

Thus, each copyright holder would handle all the fees and payment issues
for their own modules.  They would advertise Sword for us because there
wouldn't be anything better.  (Also, why would they want to spend all the
time and money programming their own Bible reading program?)

If we do this, Sword stays in the non-profit arena and we could get some great
exposure.

I know I'm rambling, but maybe this will spur some more discussion.

Dan