[sword-devel] mod2zmod problems

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:23:17 +0200

> ? Not sure what you mean.  The filters produce the EntryAttributes
> entries.  There is no direct access.  The filters are still involved in
> formatting the EntryAttributes entries the way your frontend requires
> them (or should, when they are actually written/complete).

I probably spoke up too soon. Gotta wait util things are more complete and
somebody explains how this all works. Then I can comment better, but my
concerns are still valid.
E.g., will a footnote be handled by the filter (gbfhtml) or by the app with
entryAttribute?

> Actually, you, as a client of the API should never have to know that any
> text you use is in OSIS, or ThML, or GBF, or whatever.  Only as an API
> extender (filter writer, etc.) or hacker should you have to know about it.

Well, that woud be nice if that was the case. But since sword features things
like cross-references we need to do our own filtering in order to be able to
handle the html-ized references correctly. That is why we use own filters.
Besides that, we do our own css-based html formatting, which is not possible
with the current sword built-in filters.

Martin