[sword-devel] mod2zmod problems

Sun, 14 Jul 2002 04:04:07 -0700

> When trying to convert the Thai text to a zipped format, there was a problem
> with the default LZSS format. It produced a set of files but it did not
> display properly (an empty display or a few strange characters). Second
> attempt using the Zip format with the command line option, it is possible to
> create a valid set of files. The text then displays properly. Then trying to
> create a LZSS format with flags set for both book and LZSS, the same
> incorrect results as earlier were achieved.

I'll try out the zip utils.  Thanks for the bug report.

> Do I understand correctly that to create a encrypted module, you start with
> the plain text module?

Yes, once you finish your module, the you can create an enciphered
module from that.

> And that the encryption key is stored in a plain text
> file which anyone could view?

Yes, just like anyone can view your Windows key by right-clicking on
MyComputer and selecting Properties.  Or by running: regedit.exe to view
most all other software's key information.

The key is NOT shipped with the module if that is what you are asking.
The module's .conf file will contain an empty entry like this:

CipherKey=

This let's (on Windows) the InstallMgr know that it is enciphered and
should prompt the user for the key.  After they type the key in,
InstallMgr changes the entry in the .conf file to what they typed, like:

CipherKey=abcd1234efgh5678

There is nothing keeping someone from giving this key to others, just
like there is nothing keeping me from giving my win2000 key out to others.

> This seems only a little more secure than the
> zipped modules given that there are so many open-source tools to read the
> data.

Well, the zip modules aren't meant to be secure by virtue of them being
zipped.  Only smaller.

> Someone mentioned the New English Translation (NET) version as an 'open'
> text. Has it been converted to GBF format (I didn't see it)? I use it
> sporadically (the downloaded HTML version but wish it had a search
> capability) and like the frequent foot-notes explaining the actual text.
> Although this might not display so well imbedded into the scripture text as
> the Sword interface displays it.

The NET Bible is available as a locked module from our beta area.  Let
me know if you would like to test it out and I'll send you the key.

Regarding footnotes.  We have a mechanism in place to allow footnotes to
be separated out from the verses.  Look for the frontends to begin using
these once we finish all the filters for the different markups.  Coming
soon hopefully!

	Blessing for the best on your endeavours!

		-Troy.