[sword-devel] Paul's epistles

Joe Walker sword-devel@crosswire.org
12 Jan 2002 09:17:37 +0000

On Sat, 2002-01-12 at 08:34, Chris wrote:

> I see that the default for Sword is that "Paul's Epistles" includes Hebrews.
> Does anybody seriously believe that Hebrews is by Paul?

At the risk of getting off topic, I think there is an empirical "yes" to
your question - some people do seriously believe that. My "Charts of the
New Testament" book (by H. Wayne House) suggests the following options
in order (with a very detailed list of pros and cons to each)
1. Paul
2. Luke
3. Apollos
4. Barnabas
5. Priscilla and Aquila
6. Clement of Rome

However this does not answer the real question "Where should we group
Hebrews?". An alternative might be to have groups "letters to people"
and "letters from people", but whilst technically correct, that doesn't
seem to be clearer.

The answer would be in where our average user expected Hebrews to be,
and I would estimate that under "Paul's Epistles" was not a bad answer,
even if technically incorrect, people would guess where to go.

Joe.