[sword-devel] SWORD 1.5.5 bug in i18n code

Troy A. Griffitts sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 16:21:52 -0700

	Good suggestions.  Yes, we're hoping to address this with a 
'hierachical fallback' mechanism like you suggest.  Want to do it? :)


Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> Hi,
> In my chase to get gnomesword work in Dutch I stumbled upon something I 
> considere a bug.
> My Linux desktop is set to the English language but as a native Dutch 
> speaker I prefer to do Bible work primarily in Dutch.
> For this I started gnomesword like:
> env LANG=nl /usr/bin/gnomesword
> This works well and the Bible books now show in Dutch. But I found that 
> the proper code for the LANG variable should be nl_NL (or nl_BE for our 
> southern neighbors). It might actually have the font code attached as well 
> so it could be nl_NL.UTF-8 or whatever font you like.
> gnomesword hoever does not show the Bible books in Dutch if I use a proper 
> LANG setting.
> I assume a fast fix might be to copy locales.d/nl.conf to 
> locales.d/nl_NL.conf and locales.d/nl_BE.conf and ajust the conf file.
> I also noticed that the af.conf file contains the English names. To the 
> best of my knowledge this should be en_SA.conf and the af.conf should look 
> rather similar to the nl.conf file.
> I made myself a local copy for the language nl_NL but I assume this will 
> be addressed in the next update of sword.
> A mechanism to check for a shorter version should be added to the code to 
> handle this more gracefully. So if LANG is set to nl_NL.UTF-8 it will 
> check for nl_NL.UTF-8.conf first then for nl_NL.conf and eventually for 
> nl.conf before falling back to the buildin default.
> Hugo.