[sword-devel] SWORD 1.5.5 bug in i18n code

Hugo van der Kooij sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:57:58 +0100 (CET)


In my chase to get gnomesword work in Dutch I stumbled upon something I 
considere a bug.

My Linux desktop is set to the English language but as a native Dutch 
speaker I prefer to do Bible work primarily in Dutch.

For this I started gnomesword like:
env LANG=nl /usr/bin/gnomesword

This works well and the Bible books now show in Dutch. But I found that 
the proper code for the LANG variable should be nl_NL (or nl_BE for our 
southern neighbors). It might actually have the font code attached as well 
so it could be nl_NL.UTF-8 or whatever font you like.

gnomesword hoever does not show the Bible books in Dutch if I use a proper 
LANG setting.

I assume a fast fix might be to copy locales.d/nl.conf to 
locales.d/nl_NL.conf and locales.d/nl_BE.conf and ajust the conf file.

I also noticed that the af.conf file contains the English names. To the 
best of my knowledge this should be en_SA.conf and the af.conf should look 
rather similar to the nl.conf file.

I made myself a local copy for the language nl_NL but I assume this will 
be addressed in the next update of sword.

A mechanism to check for a shorter version should be added to the code to 
handle this more gracefully. So if LANG is set to nl_NL.UTF-8 it will 
check for nl_NL.UTF-8.conf first then for nl_NL.conf and eventually for 
nl.conf before falling back to the buildin default.


 All email sent to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    Don't meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.