[sword-devel] Software Solution for Taking Payments and Sending O ut an Unlock Key!

Rev. Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:15:48 +1000

--=====================_14470447==_.ALT

At 05:10 18-12-02 +1000, you wrote:
>Hey Guys,
>
>        I got an e-mail today from a publisher that was interested in
>distributing their work for use with The SWORD Project. When I send them
>our permission request letter I give the following four options:
>
>1) We offer your translations for free download with no restrictions.
>As we exist as a ministry, this is the most desired option.
>2) We offer your translations free for personal use, or with other
>restrictions in the copyright notice.
>3) We offer your translations encrypted and CrossWire or you can give
>out the unlock code.
>4) We give you the modules that work with our software and you can offer
>it from your site under whatever terms you desire.
>
>        Here is where I need some pointers from you guys. CrossWire does
>not
>want to be involved in the financial matters of exchanging money for
>modules so we only offer to have the publisher setup a way to take the
>money and send out an unlock code (most likely via e-mail) and we host
>the module. However the publisher that I got an e-mail from today would
>like to know how to setup the mechanism to send out unlock keys upon
>receiving the fee. I would like to be able to at least give them some
>ideas of where to start, what software solutions might be of use to
>them. Whether these solutions are just software that they can buy and
>use or is a service that they can pay for. So what are people's ideas? A
>solution for these publishers, remember many of the publishers that do
>not know how to setup something like this are small publishers so they
>don't have a big budget. Thanks for any tips people have.

Probably the cheapest way to do this is with a web form set up to solicit a payment from PayPal. Once the salesperson verifies the payment, he or she can email the unlock code. I did that for a while for paper copies of the World English Bible NT+PP. I don't do that any more. You get a free download or buy the book from a bookstore.

Rev. Michael Paul Johnson
Servant of Jesus Christ
mpj@eBible.org
http://eBible.org/mpj/

--=====================_14470447==_.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I got an
e-mail today from a publisher that was interested in<br>
distributing their work for use with The SWORD Project. When I send
them<br>
our permission request letter I give the following four
1) We offer your translations for free download with no restrictions.
As we exist as a ministry, this is the most desired option.<br>
2) We offer your translations free for personal use, or with other<br>
restrictions in the copyright notice.<br>
3) We offer your translations encrypted and CrossWire or you can
give<br>
out the unlock code.<br>
4) We give you the modules that work with our software and you can
offer<br>
it from your site under whatever terms you desire.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Here is
where I need some pointers from you guys. CrossWire does<br>
not<br>
want to be involved in the financial matters of exchanging money
for<br>
modules so we only offer to have the publisher setup a way to take
the<br>
money and send out an unlock code (most likely via e-mail) and we
host<br>
the module. However the publisher that I got an e-mail from today
would<br>
like to know how to setup the mechanism to send out unlock keys
upon<br>
receiving the fee. I would like to be able to at least give them
some<br>
ideas of where to start, what software solutions might be of use to<br>
them. Whether these solutions are just software that they can buy
and<br>
use or is a service that they can pay for. So what are people's ideas?
A<br>
solution for these publishers, remember many of the publishers that
do<br>
not know how to setup something like this are small publishers so
they<br>
don't have a big budget. Thanks for any tips people
Probably the cheapest way to do this is with a web form set up to solicit
a payment from PayPal. Once the salesperson verifies the payment, he or
she can email the unlock code. I did that for a while for paper copies of
the World English Bible NT+PP. I don't do that any more. You get a free
download or buy the book from a bookstore.<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Servant of Jesus Christ<br>
mpj@eBible.org<br>