[sword-devel] clean bible or bad phantasy?

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 15:36:06 +0500

> Thus spake "porton@narod.ru"> :
>
> >> Thus spake "Daniel Russell"> :
>
> Only "thick aspirants" (in English we usually call them rough breathing
> marks) were marked. Since the smooth breathings are soundless, they were not
> marked.  If you take a close look at a picture of P52 (a fragment of John
> from ca. 125) you can actually see an aspiration, IIRC over the article.
> Pictures are available at various places on the net. At that time, they were
> using two dots (i.e. an umlaut) above the vowel.

Oh, I searched the Net yesterday several hours and found nothing (particularly
no pictures)... Which side should I throw the net to catch?

I suppose we can found all thick aspirated strongs by computer searching in
Thayer module these word whose English transcription is starting with "h".
Yes? (One with printed aspirated Thayer lexicon should check that this method
is correct; well I can try to check this by myself, but my printed NT Greek
lexicon (to Russian) is not keyed to strongs to make the work somehow harder)
Well, I'm not sure whether aspirants may appear/disappear when a word changes
grammatical form (without changing strong); huh? (You have printed Greek NT
and can check by choosing 80 or so random words of which 50% is without
aspirants and 50% is with in the initial form.)

So we seemingly can aspirate Sword's both Greek NTs and Greek lexicons!

> > What was position of subscript iota in the most ancient texts (none,
> > subscript, or normal?) Well, seemingly I already asked it somewhere some
> > months ago, but my memory...
>
> There were no iota subscripts, and all letters were capitalized.  I'm not
> aware of any first century exceptions to that, but I'm not a paleographer,
> so could be wrong.

But I'm in doubt whether these iotas was non-subscript or absent.

About all caps my ignorant conjecture is that these only these texts which was fastly copied not the apostle's originals. Well, was lowercase Greek letters already "invented" in 1st century?
--
Victor Porton (porton@ex-code.com)