[sword-devel] Glossary popups

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 09:37:44 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Barry Drake wrote:

> Hi there ...
>
> Thought I'd take a look at the glossary feature.  Downloaded la_en Latin
> English glossary and tried it with the Vulgate.  It gets it right a lot of
> the time (not all the time) and is a valuable feature.  I find it a bit
> confusing to have the glossary popups showing on other windows though - the
> commentaruy window, for instance, tries to show the nearest Latin word to
> the English word you hover over.  Strange really.  Still, it's nice work.

Hmm.  I'm not sure how we should deal with this stuff.

Troy's implementation is a bit different from what I had imagined we would
do, but we should probably not bother with any changes before the next dev
cycle.  I had envisioned a setup where the source language would be
determined by checking the lang tag on the module and the target language
would be determined by checking the locale setting of the user.  Then we
just pick the appropriate glossary for the module and translate.  This
does have a few problems to work out.  e.g. we really only have glossaries
to/from English, so that limits the possible mappings.  Further, there's a
problem when we have something like RWP, where the lang is en, but
embedded text is often in el, so we might need to tag/look for embedded
<foreign> tags.

> Any chance of a biblical Greek/English glossary?

Yes! Good idea.  I keep meaning to add indexing to Thayer/BDB by word as
well as Strong's number.  It's fairly trivial so I'll try to get a beta
posted this weekend.

What do you think is the best set of index entries?  Just Greek & Strongs,
or Greek, English, & Strongs? (s/Greek/Hebrew/ for BDB.)

--Chris