[sword-devel] Beta Z bugs

Daniel Glassey sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:07:03 +0100

To summarise IMHO point 3 sounds like a bug, 1 and 14 are a good idea, 2 is
IMHO a bad idea, the rest are enhancement requests for 1.5.5 IMHO.

On Wednesday 28 Aug 2002 9:33 pm, you wrote:
> Points to consider:
>
> Sword is looking Good however there are some points to ponder:
>
> 1. Catholic Encylopedia & Josephus' Works do not download and cause errors,
> causes Install Mngr to crash... (win xp pro)

these are still beta afair so getting them to non beta is the issue.

> 2. The locked module interface is extremely un-userfriendly, and the
> dialogue for locked modules should be included in the sword part, not the
> download part, since people may wish to download a whole batch of different
> translations and include one or two locked modules, only to be stopped by a
> nagging message asking you to key in the code.  BTW I can't test further
> since I don't have the keys :)

Locked translations should not be available to the general public so the less
userfriendly it is the better ;)

> 3. It is unclear which glossary is chosen for the glossary popup, if so, it
> doesn't work at all and provides the incorrect popup for words: "thee"
> brought up some wierd glossary on Chaldean for example.

sounds like a bug i.e. important

> 4. Colours, the overall windows colours should be compatible with windows,
> on windows xp the window colours look ugly.

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 5.  There needs to be a far clearer indication of which module is selected
> in each of the 3 categories.

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 6.  "Preferences" should be under "tools"

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 7. the various options are clumsy, and should be grouped in a more logical
> manner - transliteration, vowel pointers cantillations - maybe by language,
> Hebrew under a subheading, rather than simply lumped together

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 8. The Toolbar should be windows based, and there should be more buttons

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 9.  Changes to the reference in any format should auto-update (without the
> need to press enter)

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 10. for texts like Enoch and the Quran, it takes a long time to load...you
> need better handling here

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 11. a Windows GUI for converting a personal commentary into a module is
> needed...and it needs to be included  in the Personal Commentary toolbar

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 12.  A Personal Commentary toolbar should be available instantly when
> moving to it, enabling a click to delete, edit, etc. the actual edit
> toolbar needs work - a full justify button, plus the usual, save, delete
> and exit buttons should be there...  its a bit un userfriendly and some of
> the symbols are not clear (what do the down arrows mean for instance?)

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 13.  On this subject, it would be great to have a personal glossary/lexicon
> as well - the same idea, and also the ability to have a "one-click" module
> conversion option....

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 14.  For inclusion, I recommend that people should have standard - BDB,
> Thayers, RSV, personal, TSK and Perhaps WHNU with NA27 Variants, the BHS as
> well....thats worth it, and quite frankly, everyone else is doing the KJV &
> MHCC included, and generally people have it anyway, and they can install
> it...rather be different and include some texts of real use....

sounds like a good idea apart from WHNU which is locked afair

> 15. Its my personal opinion, that having a tiny window between "bible" and
> "lexicon/dictionary" windows should be available for footnotes...

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 16. perhaps underneath the toolbar - we could have a nice heading
> bar....(something like outlook express)

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 17.  too many modules is getting a problem...it would be helpful to further
> subdivide them in terms of language - perhaps allow the user to create a
> preference list, with the ability to call it up as needed - something like
> a library with specific modules - Hebrew Modules - BHS, Aleppo, Modern
> Hebrew for example...

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 18.  Install manager downloads one module at a time.

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 19. Copying Unicode to a program like word is a problem, it doesn't work
> correctly....

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 20. There should be an option to alternate between RTL and LTR in the
> windows

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 21. Perhaps the second way of referencing (typing it in) should be done
> away with...its not necessary if you have the other one..and it changes
> automatically

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 22. There needs to be better error handling, if a module doesn't work, the
> conf. file should automatically be moved to a spare directory, and the
> program should be restarted, or a better warning message given...or
> both....

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> 23.  A distinction between commentaries and other texts (enoch/BoM/quran)
> needs to be in place...perhaps force the other texts onto another row...
> same with the watchwords/daily readings as opposed to dictionaries and
> lexicons - having so many modules is getting irritating at having to find
> the right one (and yes i need many of them open at once...)...

useful if can be done quickly, not IMHO a showstopper for 1.5.4

> Thats all for now...that should keep people busy

for 1.5.5, 1.5.4 is about done and needs released ASAP!

Regards,
Daniel