[sword-devel] Mac OS X client - progress update

Nathan Youngman sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:47:48 -0600

--Apple-Mail-2--220120722

On Monday, April 15, 2002, at 03:17  AM, Chris Little wrote:
>> I'm not sure that anyone is actually looking at these
>> binaries or source
>> though. Probably not too many Mac users on this list. Email me if you
>> want to play with the last build.
>
> I've been keeping up and think the progress looks great.  I am really
> excited about the prospect of helping out with this stuff once I get a
> break from other obligations.

Well, right now the tips on working with the Sword API are really what
I'm looking for. Thanks for that, and to Martin for the code snippet.

I haven't been digging into the Sword code or other clients, basically
just going off the docs - which leave a bit to be desired. I guess it's
not every day that someone decides to write a new client though. :-)

I have a fair number of questions...

> I would love to get your code up on our CVS server, but we would have to
> wait until Troy can get an account set up for you, etc.

I'm not all that anxious to use CVS anyway. Partially because I'm still
learning, and end up refactoring code almost as often as writing it.

Needless to say, Macs are a bit weird. Even though OS X can figure
things out by file extension, and Project Builder has CVS built in -
I've ran into difficulties with file bundles. The .pbproj (project file)
and some other files are actually folders. In the past, I've had some
trouble updating changes to them in CVS. May just require some setup on
the server-side...

Other than those excuses, it would probably be a good idea. :-)

Right now my "version control" consists of putting the .app and a source
code .sit into my "last build" folder whenever I get a stable build.
When I reach some sort of milestone worthy of sending out to this list,
I also backup the folders to my iPod.

>> Sometime before doing a public beta, I will likely rename this app -
>> iSword or something?
>
> It's not a good idea to ask the mailing list for name suggestions. :)
> From past experience, everyone will have objections to any name you come
> up with.  And the one that everyone finally does decide they like will
> be a registered trademark.  (Ahh... The memories.)
>
> iSword might be somewhat inaccurate since it doesn't really have
> anything to do with the internet (not that the iPod or iMovie have very
> much to do with the internet).  You can also scan through the mailing
> list archives to see some of the name proposals for the Windows frontend
> that were discussed some months back.

Well, we do have the module downloading support - not exactly a priority
for me to implement though.

I don't think that's too far off from iTunes which is mostly a lot of
non-Internet stuff, but it has radio stations. Or iPhoto, which can
integrate with iTools to update your photo album, and that whole online
ordering thing - but still mostly useful as a tool for doing
non-Internet things.

iPod is certainly questionable - excluding people who "Do steal
music"(TM). There are some third-party tools to sync news to it, but
other than that - very Internet-unrelated.

iApps are all free - so such an association may be a good thing. On the
other hand, there aren't too many non-Apple iApps.

I'm more concerned about whether to call it "Sword" or something more
obvious, like "Bible" :-)

But at the moment I'm thinking Sword would be okay if my description is
something along the lines of:

	And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit,
which is the word of God.
	[Eph 6:17]

- n8

---
Nathan Youngman
E-mail: nathany at mac.com
Web: http://nathany.com

--Apple-Mail-2--220120722

<excerpt><excerpt>I'm not sure that anyone is actually looking at
these

binaries or source

though. Probably not too many Mac users on this list. Email me if you

want to play with the last build.

</excerpt>

I've been keeping up and think the progress looks great.  I am really

excited about the prospect of helping out with this stuff once I get a

break from other obligations.

</excerpt>

Well, right now the tips on working with the Sword API are really what
I'm looking for. Thanks for that, and to Martin for the code snippet.

I haven't been digging into the Sword code or other clients, basically
just going off the docs - which leave a bit to be desired. I guess
it's not every day that someone decides to write a new client though.
:-)

I have a fair number of questions...

<excerpt>I would love to get your code up on our CVS server, but we
[...]

<excerpt><excerpt>Sometime before doing a public beta, I will likely
rename this app -

iSword or something?

</excerpt>

It's not a good idea to ask the mailing list for name suggestions. :)

>From past experience, everyone will have objections to any name you
come

up with.  And the one that everyone finally does decide they like will

be a registered trademark.  (Ahh... The memories.)

iSword might be somewhat inaccurate since it doesn't really have

anything to do with the internet (not that the iPod or iMovie have very

much to do with the internet).  You can also scan through the mailing

list archives to see some of the name proposals for the Windows
frontend

that were discussed some months back.

</excerpt>

Well, we do have the module downloading support - not exactly a
priority for me to implement though.

I don't think that's too far off from iTunes which is mostly a lot of
non-Internet stuff, but it has radio stations. Or iPhoto, which can
integrate with iTools to update your photo album, and that whole
online ordering thing - but still mostly useful as a tool for doing
non-Internet things.

iPod is certainly questionable - excluding people who "Do steal
music"(TM). There are some third-party tools to sync news to it, but
other than that - very Internet-unrelated.

iApps are all free - so such an association may be a good thing. On
the other hand, there aren't too many non-Apple iApps.

I'm more concerned about whether to call it "Sword" or something more
obvious, like "Bible" :-)

But at the moment I'm thinking Sword would be okay if my description
is something along the lines of:

	And take the helmet of salvation, and the <italic>sword</italic> of

E-mail: nathany at mac.com

Web: http://nathany.com

--Apple-Mail-2--220120722--